2008/06/22

It's a small world - 2007/05/14

Tobu World Square

Tobu World Square locates in Nikko in Tochigi prefecture where is very famous touristic place from a long time ago.
It has 102 of very delicate and realistic miniatures (1/25 scale size) of famous ruins and builings over 41 countries. There are not only buildings but also totally there are 140,000 of small people in the miniatures. They make the minuatures more real.
We can take these miniature's photo like a real one if we arrange the angle of camera well.

Miniature of Sphinx. I can't recognize if it is miniature at a glance.
However, we can do more with these realistic miniatures. When we take pictures of famous buildings, the most important thing is taking pictures with us.
So I tried to be one of 140,000 people there.

Preparations

To enjoy Tobu World Square, I made my own small paper figure by following procedures.

1. Take some my whole body pictures in a room (Don't forget to take shoes even if it's inside of Japanese house).
2. Remove background where I can't recognize the border between my figure and the background with PC.
3. Print it out with glossy paper with best print mode (1/12.5 scale size).
4. Cut out my figure with a cutter.
5. Paint extra border that I couldn't trim from the background completely with black brush.
6. Make some small bar from heavy paper and stick them on the back side of the figure to make it strong.

At that point, it was already 2:30 at midnight. I'm going to wake up at 5 o'clock tomorrow to go there. I don't know how many times I was about to give it up and go to bed.
I didn't have enough time to do good job because I hadn't have such a crazy plan before. I just got this idea 2 days ago. However, immediate action is important. It can keep my enthusiasm otherwise I can't do that. I dared to do it.

Scale of all the miniatures are 1/25 there. I tried same scale of my figure but it became too small. So I decided to adopt x2 size, 1/12.5. My height became 14 cm. 
Take pictures in all over the world

Tomorrow morning, I went to Tobu World Square to try taking picture of famous places with me in clouds.

Entrance of Tobu World Square. I stated to take photos from 10 o'clock. 
I took my figure from my bag and start taking pictures.

Tokyo Tower - Japan
Statue of Liberty - USA
"We can make the paper figure from trimmed photo."
A woman said that in such a easy way. She never knows how much effort I made for this. I guess people won't do it generally (It's a pain in the neck!).

Empire State Building - USA 
Whitehouse - USA
The Fountain Palace of Peter the Great - Russia 
Vredespaleis (Peace Palace Library) - Netherlands 
Leaning Tower of Pisa - Italy
Cathedral in Milan - Italy 
"Huh? Somebody is standing in the balcony?"
A guy was getting close to the Cathedral.
"I'm sorry. It's me."
I apologized and collected my figure. I was embarrassed slightly but grinning. What a funny reaction they did. This is unusual and hilarious!
Plaza San Marcos - Italy 
Eiffel Tower - France 
Eiffel Tower - France 
Palace of Versailles - France 
Palace of Versailles - France 
The Parthenon - Greek
Neuschwanstein Castle - Germany 
Arch of Triumph - England
Buckingham Palace - England 
Buckingham Palace - England 
Westminster Abbey - England
Belvedere Palace - Austria 
Sagrada Familia - Spain 
I couldn't fly when I've been to Sagrada Familia before. Finally I flied on it!
Alhambra Palace - Spain 
Casa Vicens - Spain 
Park Guell - Spain
Taj Mahal - India
Yungang Grottoes - China
Findings

1. Keep parallel angle between the surface of figure and camera (Otherwise the figure looks like more flat paper.)
2. Use matte paper instead of glossy paper (Glossy paper has quite strong reflection.)
3. Use a paper that can show deep black as a real black (Black looks greenish on cheap paper.)
4. Put some weight on the figure's foot to make it stand without my support.
5. 1/12.5 is too big compare with other objects. (But it'll be very difficult to trim 1/25 figure..)
6. That's a really bother. I never do it again!

0 件のコメント: