2010/05/30

Unknown manner in Thailand - 2010/05/30

 

“Please take a seat”

Let's imagine you were invited to your friend's house in Thailand, you took off your shoes and entered his house. Then he said "Please take a seat". How do you sit down right here?

This is the place where he wants you to sit down. How elegant do you do?

This is obviously a ordinaly wooden low table but I don't see any cushions on the stone floor nor sofa. Decent way should be sitting on the floor just like Japnaese people always do. I'll take this way...

Correct answer is "Sitting on this table" like this.

This is traditional Thai style. Far from Japanese one. My mom gonna be mad with me if she finds this photo. Sorry about messy table because I'm clumsy with eating Thai dish. A shrimp flew from my hand and got on my camera by mistake.

This has some difficulties. The table is hard but no cushion. The space where I can stay is narrow. I'm pretty sure I'll fall down from this table once I get drunk.

I asked my friend if she usually has meal here with her family. She said she usually have meal in kitchen on a high table by sitting down on a chair... Thanks for giving me this unusual experience!







1 件のコメント:

Sakurakizz さんのコメント...

In Thai, this kind of table called "Tung"

nowadays ,it rarely to see this table in people's house around BKK.

You may find that big table in up-town area. I'm sure that some Thai people doesn't know this table same as you!

This picture is for reference
http://gotoknow.org/file/boonrung/%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87.jpg